View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #39
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
I have a few questions for you guys. I use CoPilot and have played with Backcountry Navigator on my tablet, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with the tech. I don't use my tablet on my bike due to it's cost and difficulty of mounting/protecting. I'm considering an S5 to replace my old Garmin Oregon for on and off road navigation. So, a few questions/comments.

1. CoPilot I find adequate for my needs for on road use. But it's map set is not even close to accurate with regard to forest service roads. BN is better, but still not great for current maps. The USGS maps are not current; I'd like to find some Motor Vehicle Use Map database (forest service legal roads/trails) to import. Other probem with BN, while it shows your position and records tracks, it doesn't do autorouting. So...are there any apps that have decently accurate FS maps and that support autorouting on forest service roads? (Garmin actually is the best I've seen on this).

2) My Oregon has a mini-USB connection. Keeping it functional on the bike has required some creative redneck engineering with velcro and elastic. Do any of the smartphone connectors function decently under the vibes of a bike? How long do newer smart phone batteries last when GPS is turned on? Will leaving a phone plugged in and charging when the bike isn't running come close to significantly draining the bike battery?

3) How have your devices held up to the shock, vibe and general abuse of off road/gravel road use? Is there a good option for a shock resistant case and Ram mount for the S5? (I don't trust a finger mount).

4) On longer trips when I'm camping I probably would throw my Android tablet in the tank bag, then use it for trip planning at camp. Here I have to show my ignorance....what is the best way to get data, say a GPX file between the 2 devices? Does bluetooth work, or do I need to cable them?
1 our local forestry service mvm Maps are a year behind, I'd love to know where to get current maps, but they won't tell me :mad: I use osm for current roads, and also download topo and satellite for when the roads don't make sense. Osmand+, locus pro, and oruxmaps are my goto , with the first two doing self navigation in house, flawlessly. Oruxmaps does routing perfectly well but does not do tbt navigation yet. There are so many sources for free maps it's boggling.

2 drz have crappy charging systems, and with the stock 5ah battery I have no issues for two or three days of phone charging. The phone works fine (galaxy s2 in a waterproof bag, Velcro to the bars) with or without the charge for many hours. The SCREEN is what kills life, not the gps antenna. Or being on the edge of service.

3 I have a g1, g2, galaxy blaze, galaxy s2 (Att) and galaxyy s2 (T-Mobile) that have all gotten several thousand miles on each, on and off road, on a thumper. They don't have issues at all. I would just do the same with the s5, Pierce the bag with a charging cable and shoegoo it water tight at the charge hole. Haven't lost a phone yet this way.

4 gpx data? I'd just Bluetooth it. Android does a great job of transferring dukes in the background, while plotting a new route or watching the days pictures in a slideshow. You can share maps too, but an adhock network is a better idea over WiFi. Usb2go even faster.

Here are my applications in order of favor:
Osmand+
Oruxmaps
Sygic or locus pro
Google maps (they will kill Garmin when they go offline fully)
The rest

Go play with them, pick your favorite, ask for help. It's fun :