View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #60
AKMotorbiker OP
Searching for sanity

Oddometer: 241
We headed East now to see Zabriskie Point, ride/ drive the 20 mule team canyon, and visit Dante's View.

CA 190 East heading from Furnace Creek to Zobriskie Point

Here is the turn off for Zabriskie Point

Zobriskie Point turn off

And the parking area. Most of the parking lots have a toilet of some sort (mainly pit toilets) but, no trash cans! Pack out your trash. That's the view point on top of the hill. A short hike. This was the busiest venue in the park with the exception of Scotty's castle which had everyone spread out so it seemed less.

Zobriskie Point parking area

Zabriskie Point

Zabriskie Point

Zabriskie Point

This sign warns you not to chase your balls over the edge! So, keep your hands on your balls and under control.

Warning at Zabriskie Point

Zabriskie Point

20 Mule Team Canyon

Twenty Mule Team Canyon turn off

Twenty Mule Team Canyon

Twenty mule team canyon

Twenty mule team canyon

Twenty mule team canyon

I was expecting a little more of a challenge in 20 Mule Team Canyon. It was a dirt road and the last picture showed what could have been a more substantial road previously. It was still a nice little ride.

Now on to Dante's View. The ride up was nice and the temperature started dropping rapidly! Not like an Alaskan winter but, dropped to a comfortable mid 80F. Sooooo refreshing! That is Badwater Basin directly below (the parking area and viewing platform).

Dante's View

On the way up I had started to see flowers and I was glad to see theses little specks of life in the desert. Color blasting back the tan desert shades!

Coming down Dante's View

On the way back to Furnace Creek I noticed this.

Furnace Creek?

Could this be "Furnace Creek"? It flowed to it and it was the only creek I've seen. I'll just say yes.

We were now in the mid afternoon and at the point we should have been last night. We put in enough gas at Furnace Creek to make it to Beatty, NV. So, off we went to fuel up in Beatty then hit Rhyolite Ghost Town and into Titus Canyon if we had time.

It was a very good thing we got gas in Beatty!

Gas Prices at Beatty, Nevada 3 May 2014

And it was cooler. I was hoping Titus Canyon would be cooler as well. Next stop Rhyolite.
Searching for Sanity: Newest Chapter- Sequoia National Park

AKMotorbiker screwed with this post 05-11-2014 at 03:55 PM
AKMotorbiker is online now   Reply With Quote