View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #68
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,329
When It Is Practically In Your Back Yard

Time to ride the RR. When you have an entire railroad practically in your back yard and it is one where you can readily ride on, by, near or alongside the track from one end to another in an afternoon; why not do it? Enough with the piecemeal pictures, it is time to devote an entire post with pictures from one end to the other. This little trip has moved up on our riding dance card and will be undertaken in the very near future.

Today, we got out of the office for a bit and started following the G&U route. The northern terminus is in Grafton Ma and looks like this:

Hopping the tracks and heading down the service road (with permission), you can see that the line curves into the CSX mainline that heads into Boston.

As previously noted (somewhere on this forum), they have one of the last GM/EMD F-series locomotives in continuous daily service and we posed with it some more.

Down the track from the northern terminus, the rails head into Grafton proper.

Looking back:

Heading down the track towards Grafton Center:

Went out looking for trains but the only thing running when I was about was this:

Having to make a run to Grafton for some errands today (5/20/14), we took the time to follow the tracks into Grafton center. They run right beside the church in the center.

You can see the church better in this view of Grafton center.

After the church, the tracks run behind the Grafton Inn, which is to the right of the picture below.

The Grafton Inn is shown here from the common.

A view of the common.

We heard the train down the track and went chasing after it down the kind of roads the GS loves.

Down the track a bit and still no train.

The tracks run along slide a small reservoir called Lake Wildwood - a place where I hooked the largest largemouth bass I ever caught in NE (10 lbs.) Just on the other side of the lake on Rt. 140 is a great little eating place called Red Rock Grill & Bar.

Found the train.

The train had to stop and let a flagman off.

There are no signals, so every crossing needs a flagman.

I then followed the train into the G&U's Upton rail yard. More on that to follow.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 05-21-2014 at 08:43 AM
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote