View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #24
catfish OP
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket View Post
Hope to. Let us know where you'll be after you get a campground reservation, or if you decide to try for a lakeside dispersed campsite.

I've fly fished a lot around there, but would like to check out the Sierra Buttes Lookout:

The main Gold Lake Campground has easy non-4x4-required access. No reservations required or available. Only $10/campsite/night. This is where I'm currently planning to camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongox View Post
I am assuming that all the single track is open to green stickered bikes. Do you know if there is access from the camp ground to the trails for a stickered bike? I wants to get my new wr450f out for some nice sierra trail riding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123 View Post
There is access from Gold Lake campground. It is a nasty rock fill jeep road that brings you over to the st trails. The road is not bad when you are fresh in the morning, but it gets old after a long day of st.

Good question & answer! After looking at the maps a bit closer, it appears as if Gold Lake (& Gold Lake 4x4) are the only CGs that stickered dirtbikes can camp & ride out of camp.

As with most of California, you need a plate to connect the trails together now.

I also recommend folks get the "Downieville & Lakes Basin Trail Guide" published by SierraTrails.Org. This map shows all the local trails AND whether they are multi-access or motorized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123 View Post
Also it has not been mentioned, but there are a few camp spots on the county road that the divide trails come down to. The sites are cool in that they are right along the river. They are also un cool in that there are right along the county dirt road.
Lower elevation & probably warmer at night than I want for July. I usually camp at Lake Alpine (7000 ft.) for my birthday ride.

The rest of you "maybe" folks should watch out for splinters on that fence!

Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote