View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #16477
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I have ridden many miles on RT's, but when it came to buying, to me the GS was the one to get, lighter weight, same comfort and do it all, more fun to ride type of bike. There should be few in the market used and with 20 - 50 K miles are barely broken in. The pre 2005 had the servo assisted brakes which I personally dislike as too grabby/powerful and more difficult to bleed. The only issues I had were a front OEM shock blew off in first 6000 miles, headlight glass cracked suddenly, fuel gage strip failed, and few recalls such as front brake lines reinforcement, fuel pump controller, ring antenna (alarm immobilizer cut-off) and such, all under warranty. It never left me stranded though. I have a GS11 app on the phone and the dev ice plugs in the bike can diagnose if needed anything on the road, also god when doing service maintenance. Later at 65k miles rear wheel/drive main bearing needed replacement. Otherwise knock on wood, it works like a sewing machine It now has some chatter at cold idle, probably cam chain tensioners, goes away when it warms. The engine actually smoothed out allot I can barely feel it's running now, and has good power and tractor like torque. Get about 42 mpg constantly.
What year is your GS? An avid Tagger in NJ has the exact samre bike and has over 100000 mikes on it and he constantly brags about how easy it is to maintain and how reliable it has been..I like them but have no idea how they feel or ride as i've never ridden one...
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote