View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #16478
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
What year is your GS? An avid Tagger in NJ has the exact samre bike and has over 100000 mikes on it and he constantly brags about how easy it is to maintain and how reliable it has been..I like them but have no idea how they feel or ride as i've never ridden one...
Mine is 2007. In reality it is a very simple design mechanically speaking. When I had Honda Interceptors never even dared check the valve clearance on the V4 engine, too much skill needed. Just relied on anecdotal evidence "they never need it". On the boxer BMW's the task is easy because of the location, and pre 2008 models have nut/screw type adjustments - easier to deal with than replacing shims. Not having too many plastic body work to remove also helps. I am still reusing original valve cover gaskets (although I have spares) and they don't leak oil. If we ever meet you can ride mine. Eagle Rider rents them by the day The only "issue" with the GS is it's a tall motorcycle, more so for the ADV version. But I have learned to handle with just one foot touching ground, never an issue for me. That in fact makes it comfortable, allot of leg room and long suspension travel to soak up the bumps. Gives it that "magic carpet" feel going over bumps and railroad tracks. When I get sore on long rides I just stand on the pegs for few minutes and keep going. One reason I am not getting a cruiser. As side note, I have been seriously looking at Guzzi's and they are definitely cool machines. I need to look some more
Dracula is online now   Reply With Quote