View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #94
Hunter-Douglas OP
rube

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtykdx View Post
The only part I'm not sure about on your process is storing food in hard cases on your bike. The scent is the big thing, we always did bear bags hanging up in a tree. Ripping open a hardcase or destroying the bike wouldn't be anything for a bear that has the sweet smell of Jack Links in it's nose. But if it's trying to get the bear bag, you'll be able to hear it from a safe distance and act accordingly.

The bike is your lifeline. Being out in the wilderness, if you lose that, then you've got maybe a week's hike back to civilization. Depending on what gear was lost, you could be in a bit of trouble.

Enjoyed your trip thus far, on the part about caving, I was thinking that same thing with the Descent before you mentioned it. I was like, yep, not a chance in hell. If I can walk, I can run. If I'm crawling and worming myself through a crack, nope nope nope.

And that shot of the "office"? So, jealous. The dark corner in the grey cubicle I'm in just doesn't compare.
Well so far I've really had no issue with it. If I was more worried I could always just take the one box with food off the bike and put it somewhere where there would be no collateral damage if a bear went after it. But the interesting thing is the more wild the area, the less they know to go after human food by habit. Well, at least compared to problem areas where human food is their go to method.

The caves are fun. But it's wild feeling that pressed in. Deep breaths