View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 12:05 AM   #95
Hunter-Douglas OP
rube

Oddometer: 355
My last night before having to head out to the Wrangells I decided to try out the Sewart highway through the Chugach Mountains area and the inlet. I rode into Anchorage for the first time under a dense cloud of smoke from the nearby fires. For a hot minute the California panic kicked in and I wondered if it was smog before I remembered AK doesn't really have that problem. I cruised through town for a bit but didn't stick around for long. I was feeling some waterfront time so I headed out along the inlet and watched the smoke hover over the coastline.

I stopped for a bit to watch the local fisherman at work.
I'm not sure which species seemed to be having more luck with the salmon.

After playing hide and seek with a pair of eagles and my camera I rolled on around the U-Turn to Turnagain Pass. I was pretty blown away with how beautiful the valley was. I poked around at the rest stop trying to find a place to camp but wasn't really seeing anything I was all that stoked about. A half mile down the road though I saw an unmarked dirt road heading off to the side of the valley. I took a chance and followed it and ended up at possibly one of the best free camping spots I've ever found. There was flat dirt, clear pools and a stupidly awesome view. I ate my $2 of mashed potatoes and drank my $10 of beer and just stared at the mountains for a long, long time.