View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #166
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshadow View Post
damn you make it sound so dang easy to have points.....the truth is
I can change my oil and adjust my valves in the amount of time it takes what you are suggesting to get back on the road with points......and this is on a naked r80g/s. If I add the lower PD fairing....add another 10 minutes.

I don't know...I am just not seeing the benefit yet when a person can simply carry a spare bean can.
LOTS of folks have trouble chasing down issues related to dead and/or intermittent electronic ignitions.

you are one of the few that has problems getting a points ignition to work properly.
when that happens a phantom ground needs to be checked with a meg ohm meter like Fluke 1520.
find a mechanic that has one .. they are not that uncommon.

this is assuming you've already done the easy replacement parts route. especially using known to be good parts.
the usual complaint for points ignition is not getting it running properly ... it's the upkeep points require vs electronic no maintence at all

Fluke 1520

old Biddle Meggers comes up all the time for cheap. old timers prefer the crank versions when megging larger armatures.
paid all of $25 for mine at a flea market .. works just as good if not better than the Fluke 1520.

_cy_ screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 07:18 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote