Thread: Western Russia
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #68
milkman67204 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I ended up in Vyborg for the night. The lady at the front desk was a little appalled at first with my appearance but she eventually was won over. She laugh so hard when I asked her if she had an old newpaper I could have.... Why your Russian is ok but your not reading a newpaper for sure. I just pointed to my boots that squished with each step she laughed and gave me plenty of paper.

In the morning my stuff was MOSTLY dry. Boots and gloves weren't but such is life

This guy was parked beside me

I drove around Vyborg a little stopped and got some money exchangd to Euro and bought some groceries. I wanted to walk around more but the whole place had a haze to it. it wasn't fog it was coal smoke. I don't know what the deal with that was but I didn't like it so I moved on.

I kept hearing a funny noise when ever I went over a bump but couldn't figure it out. Finally I found the issue while I was at a gas station.

The bolt holding one side of the fender on had vibrated out. I thought I had a spare on in my tool kit but didn't feel like digging it out to see, I wanted to get into Finland. So I got out my handy tool kit, zip ties tie wire and pliers and fixed it up for now.

Got across the border with little issues. They were giving me hell because I am going to a motorcycle rally. They asked how I knew about it when told them my friend is in Tampere waiting for me he organized it. Oh course they wanted his name I explained I only knew his first name and even if I knew his last I couldn't pronounce it anyways. I was informed he isn't a good friend and let threw.

Made a stop at the museum for the salpa line. It was a line made after the Soviet Union and Finland came to a truce in their Winter War of 1939-40. After seeing this little museum, built on a part of the line, I decided the people who lived here and bult this must of been amazing. I know after seeing how much rock they moved and concrete poured I wouldn't want to get in a fight with these guys.

This was a form to make small bunkers.

This is some trenches they dug. Remember all the ground here is full of huge boulders and rocks.

The top of a look out tower

This was a bunker for 20 guys they chipped out a hole in a huge rock face and built this bunker in it.

Central heat! They would get a fire going in the stove and then pump it through out the bunker

The dials and everything on the guns still worked. It was cool to sit on one of the guns and move it around and look through and move it around.

nobody ever thinks of the normal size people when building things. its all about the midgets 6 foot tall and shorter....

I guess the Soviets felt the same way as I did about the people who built this line. The Soviets attacked again in the Continuation War but stopped before reaching the Salpa Line so it has never been tested.
milkman67204 is offline   Reply With Quote