View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 12:25 AM   #41
Deanman OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Day

It was about 1pm when I left Kooskia, having wet my vest and chilly pad for relief against the 80+ temps, and headed South, I think on 13, through Harpster, and Grangeville, then onto 95 and Old 95 from the top of White Bird Hill (elev 4,450') to White Bird. Old 95 was a section of probably 20 tight switchbacks that descended into the valley, I had it to myself, and it was spectacular. Unfortunately those are among the pics that disappeared, but here are some from that segment:

Next stop was the Riggins Ranger Station, where I had the pleasure of dealing with a nice young man named Cade, (sorry for the crap pic, but obviously I'm not much of a photographer)

who was quite helpful. He directed me up Salmon Creek Rd (I think that's the name) towards Burgdorf, which he said was open for sure. He knew also that I could loop down to McCall for sure, but was not sure if I could cut over from Burgdorm through Warren, Yellow Pine, and down to Hiway 24 which I could take into Stanley.
The road out of Riggins started out nicely paved and followed the river for a while,

winding along leisurely until it turned into graded gravel.

I stopped and talked to a guy on the road and he told me pretty much the same thing Ranger Cade had, so I continued on. Eventually as he said, it then crossed a creek

and after some more serene views on fast gravel

headed up,

through more beautiful country. There were many flowers in bloom, lots of flying buzzing things in the air, and the smells of mountain flowers wafted over me in waves. High alpine meadows have a smell you just can't get anywhere else!

The flowers made me think of a hard core adventurer I had the pleasure of hosting once, so I took a couple flower shots in honor of Nomadgal.

Hi Esther!

The road began getting steeper, rockier and more rutted as I went.

Again more switchbacks and awesome views.

And around the corner was this, so I took a timer shot of me next to an old weird abandoned bus

Passed this evidently historical cabin

but didn't see anything to explain its significance. It's a little run down, but I think it has potential.

After passing a few nice camping spots, and more spectacular scenery,

it was getting late I came across a big wide spot that was parking for a trailhead. One side was covered with about 8" of this

which offered an oh shit moment, but I plowed through it and down this

which lead to this

so I set up for the night.

I didn't make it to Burgdorf, and hoped I am not too far (There was a sign at the turn that said 21 miles to Burgdorf, but I forgot to check my milage and I find it's hard to gauge how far you've gone on these roads.

The road numbers (if if it doesn't just say "unpaved road" on the GPS don't seem to match the paper map, and it's really hard to see where a road goes on the GPS. You have to zoom in close enough to see the road number/name, then scroll and scroll trying to follow the road. Sometimes I can just tell it to find the next nearest city (and avoid hiways) but today it couldn't find Burgdorf, Yellow Pine, or Warren, so that didn't help me.

Total milage: 203
Horizontal Bike Events: 2
Deanman is offline   Reply With Quote