View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 12:57 AM   #41
ElJefeATX OP
notPirateJohn

Oddometer: 3,289
Austin to Banff on a Tiger 800XC

Highway 6 from Price to just south of Salt Lake could be a fun ride but not with strong crosswinds and thunderstorms. I managed to avoid most of the thunderstorms but at one point it was a hot dust storm while raining. Although highway six is a heavily traveled mountain pass it follows the Whitewater Creek and railroad tracks and provides a whole bunch of picturesque opportunities. There are lots of pull offs to watch and photograph trains running along the creek and through tunnels. But with the foul weather, construction delays and the fact that I'm behind schedule on getting to Canada I didn't stop to get any pictures.

Salt Lake City, the birthplace of jazz, was hot and I had already ridden through the desert and was nasty sweaty underneath my atgatt. But I did want to see the temple square so I did stop and take some pictures there. The Temple Square is a fortress. There's a wall around the entire grounds and locked gates everywhere. you can walk through and see the temple but you can't actually walk up the steps or go inside... at least not if you're just wandering in like I did. Meanwhile for some reason the entire area is just crawling with panhandlers.

So I bolted for Pocatello. The ride from Moab to price is kind of monotonous with the desert scenery however I watched a thunderstorm for two hours and eventually ended up in it. That's kind of cool.

watching the sunset over the mountains and green pastures in southern Idaho was,,, I'm trying to think of a word other than spectacular because I keep using it in these ride reports.

Tomorrow I hang a left at Blackfoot and head up Highway 93 to Missoula. It's supposed to be a great mountain twisty ride.
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote