View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #20
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
Thursday, July 10: Guymon, Oklahoma ---> Ponca City, Oklahoma

Leaving Guymon

Guymon, OK is about in the center of the Oklahoma Panhandle (more on that later). I headed E on US 412 and stopped 16 miles out at Hardesty, OK. Found a little "rest area" to stop at...

Dr. Greg & Wotan at a rest stop near Hardesty, Oklahoma...

Here's a closeup of the "monument" to Old Hardesty.

Turns out the town was named for Col. Jack Hardesty...

Another view of my beautiful bike in the Oklahoma Panhandle...

Wotan looks mighty nice anywhere...

One advantage of traveling on TWO WHEELS.

You all know this, but in a cage one is SO isolated from the environment. On a bike, not so. Midway between Guymon and Woodward, the country began to get a few little hills. And---of course---it was another gorgeous day. See?

A few small hills, and---more important---cooler temps!

And---mysteriously---the temperature quickly dropped by about 10 degrees! It was about 90F, and it dropped to 80F. And on a bike you can REALLY feel that...man, it was NICE!

Welcome to NO MAN'S LAND...

Turns out that for a while the Oklahoma Panhandle was literally without any form of government. This monument explains it. First gotta show off Wotan again...

Wotan in front of the "No Man's Land" Monument...

Ok, ok, here's a closeup of the monument. Hopefully you can read it (might help to zoom in if you can); it's kinda interesting.

The story behind "No Man's Land"...

A GRAMMAR Lesson...

Mrs. Wilson was my 8th grade teacher, and she drilled into us that UNIQUE means UNIQUE. One of a kind. It's nonsense to talk about "very unique" or "most unique"...so imagine my revulsion as I read this portion of the monument text:

Mrs. Wilson would be turning over in her grave...

The "Cherokee Strip" Museum...

I'm a sucker for museums, so when I hit the junction at Alva, Oklahoma and saw a sign for the "Cherokee Strip" museum, I had to see it. So here it is:

The front of the museum.

In case you can't read the fine print, here's what it is again:

I'll list a few photos I took inside, along with my comments.

This looks like my old living room: piano, old radio, old TV, etc.

Looks like Dr. Greg's old 1953 living room.

Dunno know if these were Kiowa or Comanche, but they look relatively peaceful at this point.

The original occupants of Oklahoma.

This looks like it coulda been machine a "naturopath" might use...

Yikes! What a quack could do with the "Medcolator"!

This tonic looks like something that would do ME some good...

And it only costs $1.25...

Not sure I'd want to recline in this dentist's chair...

Ouch! Dr. Feelgood is definitely NOT at this wheel...

This looks like the typewriter I took to college with me...

This baby predates the IBM Selectric by a bit...

And the ol' switchboard...

Number, please?

And of course there's the forerunner to the iPod...complete with operator!

What would Steve Jobs think of this?

Here's my favorite, an old Data General machine. Any of you illiterates ever read The Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder? That's Pulitzer Prize stuff. All about the development of the Data General Eclipse minicomputer. As a long-time user of Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) PDP-8s and PDP-11s (and LSI-11s), this is very cool...

An old Data General machine!!

Still a beautiful day, and some advanced corn...

No thunderstorms today, nowhere, nohow.

Nothin' but gorgeous weather today.

Finally, this corn is already tassled out. Musta been using some Gro-Rite, or whatever...

Knee-high? This corn is neck-high...

The wrapup.

Well, folks, that's it for today. I'm struggling with a lousy WiFi network tonight, so writing the RR update has been a pain in the, well, neck. But I'm gonna get 'er done. Tomorrow I'm going to check out the Picher area, and see the effects of that toxic lead and zinc mining. No idea what's there. For all I know, the road thru there is closed. But I doubt it.

As usual, thanks for following. Sorry for boring you with those museum pics, but I dig that stuff. Rest assured, there'll be more. I was kinda disappointed the Cherokee Strip museum didn't have more history, but...it was still interesting.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote