View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #66
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Oddometer: 260
Day 6 continued

Yup, we're on route 389. As you can see...in the rain, on the gravel. Oh, well. What's a little adventure, right?

We were glad our suits kept the rain out and that we were dressed pretty warm. We learned our lesson in British Columbia that taking layers off to cool off is a LOT easier than trying to dig them out and warm up once chilled. You can see Dylan getting prepped to get back on the bike. Even pulling his buff up high on his face.

Damn choice of tires is really starting to haunt me. You can see that there is quite a bit of sand on the road, too. Pay attention to that detail. Not the sand. The choice of tires. It will reappear and you WILL be tested!

Heading almost due north. Making good time. We don't race. We're heavy and I'm old. Don't want to have to have Dylan put into practice all the things we've talked about. Dad's epi-pen is where? What button do you push on the SPOT if we have a problem? Where's the key to the satellite phone? We had gone over all those things before we left. He's prepped and a smart young man. He can manage in a crisis if we (I) need it.

We cross the 51st Parallel. These little signs creep up on you!

Dust? You are kidding me! The sandy areas dry quick. Gotta ask yourself what's better; A little bit of rain to moisten the road or dry road and dust. I'm going to go with dry.

Trees are getting shorter again. Not like the tundra we experienced on the Dalton but noticeably shorter vegetation. You can see for a long way on these straight areas.

Why you ask would you take a picture of a gravel road? Well, that's to show people, because you can't "feel" it, so you have to "see" it. Imagine what it would be like walking on a counter top covered with marbles. That's what some portions of 389 were like. Hard pack with fresh gravel kind of floating on top.

At one point the back of the bike took a little, ok, big whoopty do, that's one of those technical terms, and Dylan tapped me on the shoulder and said "I almost wet myself".

We had many close calls like that and it helped me keep things in check and slowed me down. If you are riding the TLH or 389 this year...be careful.

Sometimes you felt kind of silly sitting at a stop light and you can plainly see there is nobody coming. In this one there is a vehicle coming through.

We needed to get off and rest a bit so we stopped at a "Rest Area" in Relais Gabriel. It had a little pavilion and picnic table. We snacked and drank some water. A gentleman drove up to the bike as we were leaving and was interested in our trip. He said he came up here fishing 20 years ago and never left. He and his wife have a place just a bit south. Told us some history and points to try and look for on our trip. He said he likes talking to the bike riders cause they are so nice and friendly. Very nice guy.

That's a long straight stretch of road.

I couldn't help myself here. I know it's graffiti but it made me chuckle.

I know this isn't the "Top of the World" highway. I've been on that! It's close though!!!!

OMG, I know some may not agree but I was REALLY glad to hit pavement again. I was tired. This gave both of us a bit of a second wind from having to constantly be on edge. Also gave my "pucker string" a rest....

Still a whole lotta road out there in front of us!

The terrain was again changing. This is so cool to be able to, up close, witness the environmental changes that were taking place. I have a a great appreciation of our environment and revel in taking it all in.

Several areas like this can be found along 389 (and the TLH). I kept being told to "just pull off and camp" but didn't feel comfortable doing that. Had I been alone or didn't have a youth with me I may have.

A distant view of Lake Manicouagan. What a spectacular natural resource.

The obvious scars of a forest fire. I read a ride report while researching our trip that must have happened during the authors trip. Route 389 had been closed because of smoke, fire, safety, etc.

I've never been labeled as being "very smart" and here is proof in this series of photos.

As we approached the bridge over Rivière Hart Jaune, I started the Contour helmet cam. I then proceeded to begin taking photos while the camera was "rolling". Dylan was not happy.

The video first:

Then the photos I took:

Yes, it's a wooden bridge. Don't see many of those where I'm from.

Taking a digger here would not be cool.

The amount of water going by was a bit unsettling.

Dyaln was not a happy camper. Too many gotcha moments lately! You've got to give him a lot of credit for hanging in there and being a great passenger!

We still have a long way to go yet today. We've tried to stop and rest more often so that we can, hopefully, make it to Labrador City.

Another selfie. I'm getting better, right?

More day 6 coming...

2up to Labrador - Another father/son adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=984421
NorWis is offline   Reply With Quote