View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #80
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
Wednesday, July 16: Amesville, Ohio --> Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.

Pretty lame day of riding today, but after dawdling thru Missouri, Kentucky, and Ohio, I had to cover some ground...

Leaving Amesville, Ohio (oldgezzer)

You folks have to see oldgezzer's place to believe it. What a paradise! Or at least that's how it looks to me. Anyway, Mrs. oldgezzer (Ann) wished me a good day, and I was off down the treacherous narrow gravel driveway...

Even Wotan doesn't wanna leave...

I followed OH 690 back the way I had come in, and had the opportunity to photograph the beautiful area that I had missed earlier (a car was on my tail). See how pretty?

These eastern deciduous forests are TOO MUCH.

No twisties today...

As I mentioned at the top, I needed to cover some miles today, so it was US 50 into Parkersburg, WV and as far as Clarksburg, WV. However, before entering WV, I stopped a rest area somewhere in SE Ohio...

A pretty flowerbed gave me an excuse for another "Wotan" pic...

And over the Ohio River yet again...and welcome to West "By God" Virginia...

I had planned to follow the Ohio River Valley...I was sure doin' it.

Barely got the camera operational in time to snap yet another pic of the Ohio River. You folks have to excuse me; as I've said in previous RR's, coming from arid regions (SoCal and New Mexico) the sight of almost any kind of running water is just magical for me...

Running water! We don't have much of that where I come from...

Welcome to Maryland!

I really know only three things about Maryland...

1. That's where Travis Pastrana is from (what's he doin' these days?)
2. All of Maryland I've seen has been very pretty (like Missouri, Kentucky, and Ohio...)
3. I forgot the third thing...

So I stopped at this "visitor center" in Maryland, and I'll be darned if I can pronounce the name of the place. Whaddya think?

"Yogi" something, I guess...

And there was a pretty overlook:

However ya pronounce it, it was a nice view...

That "polar vortex" is sure nice, but BRRRRR!

I am reveling in the weather conditions, no doubt about it. Especially compared to the 95 F/70% humidity I experienced in eastern Oklahoma and Missouri. However, when I crested a pass in Maryland (elevation something like 2,500 feet) it was downright CHILLY. See?

When you're movin' this temp can be chilly...

So at the next break I zipped up all the vents in my jacket & pants. That did help. Of course shortly after that we descended and it got warmer. Isn't that the way it always works? Something about the perversity of inanimate objects...BTW, ignore that "SERVICE" indicator...I do my own service, and the GS911 S/W hasn't yet appeared (or has it?) for the GSW so I can't reset the service indicator. The ability to again perform my own maintenance is one of the reasons I love that bike.

Couldn't resist taking another pic of the Maryland hills. Another beautiful day. Gotta end eventually.

Sure is different than New Mexico...

A "scenic overlook"...

So there was this sign to a "scenic overlook" and I debated for a split second. "SCREECH...!!" I hit the brakes and pulled off. I've missed enough things on this trip that I didn't want miss yet ANOTHER one. This was the shack at the overlook site:

There was also a campground and other stuff; guess this is the info shack.

Getting to the overlook required a physical effort: this probably reduced the visitation by arbout 95%.

Why don't they build a moving sidewalk out to it? 440 feet is a long way...sigh.

IMHO the path out there was picturesque...

A nice little 440-foot stroll...

And the good Doc was rewarded with a pretty nice view!

Very nice. I'm glad I stopped!

Finally, near the end of the day I noticed the strata in this "roadcut"...

Kind of cool strata in this cut...

Mrs. Greg's father was a geology professor at Penn State, and later Stanford (world-famous, BTW; a member of the National Academy of Sciences, which is no small feat) and I'll bet he would've had something to say about those strata. There's a sad story about the end of his career, but now is not the time...

End of the day...

Before I left that morning, "oldgezzer" and I were looking at routes, and I mentioned I had a host in Chambersburg, PA. "Too far" said Mike, and I dropped the idea. But at one of my rest stops I realized that by taking the "direct" routing, I could get to C'burg PA by about 1730 hours. So I called my ol' buddy SoPaRider and we made contact. So I ended up spending the night in Chambersburg with Jeff & Karen. Stayed with them back during my 2012 Civil War trip; they're great people.

Turns out another "Mike" is also staying here; he's a local on an overnight trip on a 650 Burgman.

The only BUMMER is that the host that I most wanted to stay with, "PA RIDER" in Forksville, PA, is apparently unreachable. I'd like to stay with him Thursday night, but can't seem to make contact. If you're out there, PA RIDER, please give me a call. I'll try again in the morning, and during the day.

If all else fails, I could camp, since there are a concentration of "state forests" in that area. We'll see.

Again, thanks for following. Looks like I'll be arriving in Vermont a day later (Saturday) than I had hoped. But that should be okay.

See you down the road,

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote