View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #17
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Mike had just graduated from nursing school and this trip was a bit of present to himself, I just needed a getaway as being self employed sometimes isn't enough of an adventure.

We left Atlanta on Wednesday June 25th in the auto and decided time/money would dictate a trailer run by fire to some dudes house in Placerville CO. We would leave the auto/trailer combo and run section 1 in CO backwards to Utah....

We drove an overnighter and made it to Placerville in 34 hours. I will NEVER do that again....although waking up in New Mexico with pronghorns lining a rural state hwy was a pretty cool treat.

This is Tom and Aven, AKA some dude in Placerville He has a great pic of Aven on the airhead....hoping he coughs it up. *hint hint*. Advrider is a great resource allows us to meet wonderfull people all over the place. On our last trip I was recognized by an inmate which lead us to an ADV rally, great folks, yummy BBQ and a warm bed. Tom not knowing me from Eve, allowed us to leave our shit with him. How cool is that?!! He and Aven played across the street from their house in the park while we packed up and grabbed water from them.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Aven wanted to be sure the caterpillar she is holding got in the pic. Sorry Aven....
Landing in Placerville around 430pm didn't leave us a lot of time to ride. So we headed into Telluride for food and beer and planned to camp on the trail.

Camp #1 was a nice spot right off the road which provided both of us with a great spot to take our first freezing ass bath in Fall Creek.

Starting section 1# provided some great roads a beautiful scenery.

Being vertically challenged means I need to plan my parking, especially since I'm carrying quite a load.....I didn't plan very well on day one which resulted in this.

Wasn't in gear so tipped into Mike. Hooked proper, we had to remove the KLRs footpegs to free the bikes. Whoo-hoo!! First and only tipover out of the way early!!! Doesn't work that way unfortunately. Mike felt the need to reinforce his footpegs the day before our drive....probably a good thing since I imagine my 500# bike would've ripped the originals out of their sockets.

The first section in CO involed a bit of navigating, rutted roads, great views, and a bit of wildlife. Mike saw a bobcat that first day, and we both saw several deer. They're much bigger out here than back home.

Seen near Groundhog reservoir.

Bikes were running ok at altitude, but we both decided a re-jet was necessary. Luckily Delores had the Fun Center which provided us with proper jets. I had planned for this.....kinda. I brought extra jets, but they were the same size as the existing. I need a better magnifying glass I guess.

We ended up in Mexican Hat UT that night.

Stopped in town and grabbed a beer and shared a plate of nachos. First low octane beer of the trip. Utah had some weirdo laws about serving as well. Full dinner had to be orderd if you were to drink liquor or have more than 2 beers.....something along those lines. We looked at the map to find a good spot to camp.

Day one was pretty uneventful and complete.

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 07-17-2014 at 07:08 PM
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote