View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #4839
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Here's a good one:
Get yourself up to ukiah, either by slabbing it up 101 or taking fun roads, your choice. Take talmage exit, and mill creek road (might be wrong about that name) up towards cow mt, and just ride the fire road through Cow, or jump on some trails if you feel like doing a bit more. After that, head north on 29, and then you've got a choice: head north out of upper lake to penny pines, then head east on M10 (this is the longer route), or head around the lake to clearlake oaks, then long valley road to bartlett springs road. There are other options for getting up there, but I can't remember road names very well, you'll have to look them up. Take bartlett springs road all the way over to bear valley, then south to hook up with 20 again, then cross 20 and head south on 16. If you have time, you can cut off from winters and ride the berryessa roads to get back to susuin valley.

That's a pretty long day, but it's totally doable if you keep moving, and if you want more riding of dirt or twisties, there are a lot of places to add nice riding miles.
Please, do NOT take trails if you're riding alone. A guy did that last summer on an R1200GS and got stuck for 4 days. Eventually managed to hike out to town. Died of a heart attack a week later. Very sad story.

I haven't ridden those fire roads, but those are probably ok, although I'd advise riding with someone. I nearly got stranded on a fire road once. I was riding alone. Fortunately, I had some tools and after a couple hours in blazing heat, came up with an idea that managed to limp my way to civilization where I called a friend to drive 120 miles down to Paso Robles to tow a trailer down to pick me up.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote