View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #23
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Yes, but you need to play a bit to know how to change your line in a corner at any speed you might ride. It takes practice moving around at whatever speeds in various manners to any place in a corner. Practice creates the fast action memory people call muscle memory to make the evasive maneuver - be it a blind decreasing radius turn, road kill, or another vehice encroaching into your lane.
I certainly agree with your points, and I think you could go a step further and say that every ride should be practice and that you should be wary of allowing yourself to indulge in sloppy riding. It's what you practice that you will do under stress. I'll recast my statement to say that you need to be very careful about when and where to push your limits, and on public, two-lane roads, the primary skill that needs to be kept sharp is that of reading the turn and getting some advance warning that it might tighten up before you can see your way out or might have some other surprises waiting for you. It's one thing to make the most of your opportunities to sharpen your skills but it's another to roll the dice while thinking happy thoughts.

I have a number of corners on my commute that I would love to take faster or to use for sharpening turning technique, including several on what is supposed to be a private road, but most do not offer enough sight distance to make wicking it up any more than an act of unwarranted optimism.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote