View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #26
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
I certainly agree with your points, and I think you could go a step further and say that every ride should be practice and that you should be wary of allowing yourself to indulge in sloppy riding. It's what you practice that you will do under stress. I'll recast my statement to say that you need to be very careful about when and where to push your limits, and on public, two-lane roads, the primary skill that needs to be kept sharp is that of reading the turn and getting some advance warning that it might tighten up before you can see your way out or might have some other surprises waiting for you. It's one thing to make the most of your opportunities to sharpen your skills but it's another to roll the dice while thinking happy thoughts.

I have a number of corners on my commute that I would love to take faster or to use for sharpening turning technique, including several on what is supposed to be a private road, but most do not offer enough sight distance to make wicking it up any more than an act of unwarranted optimism.

You appear to not have a grasp of what I said or I am misunderstanding what you've said.

It is not sloppy and it is not rolling the dice. It is developing skills in changing position by practicing a bit when the conditions (corners/surfaces) are known or have a good line of sight. Learn how tighten your line and you now have a tool to deal with a surprise decreasing radius turn should you suddenly realize it rounding a blind turn. It is practicing both mentally and physically how to change up a line mid-corner, not pushing the envelope. It is developing both knowledge and faith in the handling of the equipment - especially tires. It is incredible how tenacious the grip of tires can be - far beyond the skill of most riders. I have never had a tire break loose due to leaning on any pavement.

My line changing practice is not haphazard. It is not go zig zag at random, nor is it wobble about like a clown. Fact of the matter speed has nothing to do with it. I do not see where conclusions like that were drawn.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 06:35 AM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote