View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
Molonlabemike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave Mutt View Post
The sandy parts are probably the most fun. The rest is easy dirt roads. Scenery is nice and the historical aspect of the Mojave Road is significant. For me, camping mid way around Cima Rd/Tutonia Peak trail and just doing day rides from there offer the best riding and cool locations.

I prefer the Mojave Road as a 4x4 camp trip in my truck. Pretty relaxing drive with a couple nights camping. Need to avoid Soda Dry Lake after a rain . The lake bed minerals are very corrosive.

I've lived in the Mojave Desert most of my life. There many great ride opportunities, the Mojave Road is nothing special except for the historical importance of the road. There is much more to see. On a long bike ride to Laughlin I like to drop in from the north, coming through Searchlight as a last gas stop. But I prefer trails and washes over roads.
If you want to do the ride from Apple Valley instead of Barstow I have plenty of parking at my house.

Glenn

Thanks for the tips Matt, I grew up in the IE and spent lots of time in the desert (riding, racing in MDR, camping Shooting). I really wanted to see a different side of the desert and really test myself. I'll have to post up once I get everything figured out, maybe I'll get lucky and someone will want to tag along
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote