View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #82
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!

Oddometer: 2,001
Austin to Banff on a Tiger 800XC

And then it happened…

Today happened to be my 50th birthday. The plan was to meet up with my girlfriend at the Devils Tower and celebrate my birthday that night with some friends of hers from Sundance. She drove up from Texas to Spearfish to meet me and show me her old stomping grounds.

While fueling up in Broadus Montana I noticed a problem with the rear tire, there was cord showing.

That's 3000 miles premature since the tires only have about 7000 miles on them. I cleaned and lubed the chain yesterday morning before I left Banff and inspected both tires. They both had plenty of tread left. I'm still processing it but I believe it is possible that much treadwear could've occurred in the last two days since I've ridden about 700 hard aggressive miles at high-speed loaded down. I rechecked the tire pressure and it was fine. It's quite possible that the premature wear is the result of one of the n00b things that I may have done in the process of fixing my last flat, using the wrong kind of tube to cause it to overheat or something along those lines. I'm not above suspecting one of my amateur mistakes could have led to the problem.

So I haven't made it to the Devils Tower, and I am spending my 50th birthday alone in a cheap motel in Broadus.

The plan is for my girlfriend to rent a U-Haul trailer in Spearfish, come up and trailer the bike back to Spearfish where I will find a motorcycle tire dealer to replace the tire.

I might even let the dealer install it, and forgo the rugged individualist macho act of installing it myself on the side of the road like I did back in Texas on day one.

50th birthdays should be interesting. And this 50th birthday was "interesting".

ElJefeATX screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 08:00 PM
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote