View Single Post
Old 03-18-2006, 10:09 AM   #16
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Thumb Mulege Info

Riders,
My maps aren't in front of me, but here are my impressions and experiences in thatr area...

Mulege has a range of accomodations, and so far ,after a half-dozen stays, I still prefer La Hacienda in the "downtown area". It has a rear parking lot that is locked at night, and one is allowed to ride into and park bikes in the courtyard...(PLEASE do oil changes and mechanical repairs in rear lot....it is disrespectful to abuse the privilege of courtyard parking by leaving oil and gas all over the courtyard).

La Hacienda is an old establishment that has gone through different managements....when I first stayed there in'94, they were doing a pig roast in a very classy way....last March, the kitchen was not always operating....

There are other places in town and on the outskirts, easy to find, and within several walking minutes from the zocalo.

Mulege has a good laundromat with a very good hardware store across the street.

There are several good places to eat, and the best tacos are on the street entering town from the highway (its on the right about a block in from highway and has tables inside and stools on the sidewalk counter).

Mulege does NOT have a bank....nearest one is north 30 minutes in Santa Rosalia....

Two gas stations....one in town.....and one on highway south of town....

Mulege is a great base for day rides or several-day loops.

West to the Pacific is a good road for anything with a motor....and it ends up on the Pacific coast just north of Scorpion Bay/ San Juanico from where you can ride south through road systems to La Purisma-San Jose de Commandu, San Xavier Mission to Loreto, or south to Ciudad Insurgentes....or ride north along coast and inland to San Ignacio.

From this west road, one can also loop north and come back out on the highway north of Mulege near Punta Chivato....have done these roads on GS's and 450.....gas may be found at the occasional rancho, but don't count on it.....

Mulege is a 5 minute ride from the coast....it has big dunes several miles south of town and you can pretend to be doing the Dakar thing until you realize soft sand really is not mch fun after 15 minutes....

Mulege is the norther tip of Bahia Concepcion, the prettiest beach area of all Baja....camping, some lodging, and food is available.

An interesting ride is along the peninsula on the east side of Concepcion....a sweet double track road goes almost to the northern tip....

Mulege is an area that has world class cave paintings in the mountains to the west and northwest.....some you get to by road and trail.....some you wade through creeks to get to.

Baja is a source of world class cave art second to none !!!!

Mulege has a well-maintained old mission and is a must-see.

These are only some very basic comments

Mulege....cool place :)

Ged

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote