View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #34
2aRover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Isn't that the very reason that it should be taught? What's their logic... we don't teach something important because we consider it hard for a new rider..... logic doesn't make sense to me. Lets alter it than, we don't teach it because we don't think its important for a beginner to be able to brake in a corner if they have to.... still having a problem with the logic.
I don't think it isn't in the curricula because it's not important. Personally, I regard trail braking as a tool to use when I choose. From a training point of view, having to brake in a corner because I've entered it too hot is an indicator that I've done something wrong, so how do we prevent that? Look further and press more is probably a better overall solution because new riders have probably come from cars where laying into the brake has few consequences, and because most riders panic well before the bike runs out of capability.

My opinion only: applying the brakes in a lean changes traction, stability, and cornering clearance (likely at a high rate), whereas looking further and pressing more retains two of the three, and changes traction at a lesser rate.

Ultimately, whether or not trail braking with either brake or the engine is taught may be a moot point, because students do it. Initially they find that changing the throttle or braking into a turn is an "oh shit" moment and it's not fun. As confidence increases, however, they find themselves braking later and later into the turn. While we coach otherwise in both cases, students learn that it can be done, and that it can be exciting.
2aRover is offline   Reply With Quote