View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #57
guglemonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by painterdude View Post
from my experience my fuel pump failed in a few hours of trying to suck against a wall. I actually took the whole thing apart to clean it.What a piece of hobbled together ..(sorry) ..crap!! Talk about crazy fine filter. Even clean you can barely get it to pass air ..It will take nothing to compromise the whole thing.To replace it in Alberta where it broke was 600 bucks + !!
All 1190 owners it seems are going to eventually have real " adventures " if they don't tediously filter the gas at every fill up !!!
By the way while I am at it ..let me just say that the exposed -extremely vulnerable and way way cheap fuel petcocks and fuel pump (complete with hanging wires ) ..looks like it should be on a cheapo bike from China.
One of my petcocks leaked fuel!! Could have had a real blazing adventure with that bit..anyways..
onward to the 2015
if i'm not mistaken, is the ethanol wich is somehow interacting with the tank modifing it's shape, I know somebody was talking about it and for sure it was interacting with the safari, you can tel by the way is increasing it's volume

I am prefiltering every single drop of petrol while refuelling on my bike, don't see the big issue, some more time at the tank station, safe ride, pump will work forever. :)

the PE nonwoven is a unfortunately tring to save the paper jimmick in the pump, it is really toooo smal for such a big bore bike,

you can clean it with a solution of petrol and injector cleaner, let it soak for some 20 minutes, blow it from inside, than let it soak in clean solution again.

usually e middle clogged filter wil gain 85% of it's flow capacity on the forth wash, than you can ride safe some more miles :)

we do use a mix system on some bike, fuel ktm prefilter and external in-line fuel filter outside the tank

lot's of washing anyway if you don't prefilter at fuel cap :)

last bike I did, 990 with 3 tanks, ktm prefilter, bosch steel canister, 20/30 cap filters all around

my std work usually involves a self made prefilter, in line steel bosch out of the tank filter and 0 micron cap filter

this will work for a loooooooooooong time :)
guglemonster is offline   Reply With Quote