View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #223
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Sure you can. Garmin does with every current map they sell. You're not allowed to post their maps or derived copies of their maps on the internet. And you're not allowed to load their maps onto an unlimited number of GPS units. A Garmin map is basically a mega elaborate set of tracks. I don't think Garmin would come after you if you posted a couple of city blocks from their map, but if you publish a significant portion of the total map data, you're clearly in the wrong. Publishing or using a significant portion of TAT without permission is wrong too. Sam may not be able to enforce this very well, but that doesn't make it ok. Is that the attitude, "if I can get away with it, then it's ok"? Is hurting Sam ok?

That's exactly what I do, and so far it's working great. This is what my roadbooks have at the very beginning:

Terms of Use:
As a condition of accepting this roadbook and corresponding map, user agrees to the following: Roadbook and map are provided as short-term rentals only. They are not for sale, and remain the property of Scott Whitney. Copying or other reproduction is strictly prohibited. User agrees to not record or allow others following along to record any GPS tracks while following the roadbook. A GPS track recorded while following the roadbook is considered a derived copy of the roadbook, and is therefore prohibited. The roadbook and map are for one-time rental use only, by one individual per paper copy, and must be returned or destroyed immediately after first use. Distribution, sharing, or publication of roadbook, map, or derived GPS tracks via email, internet, or other means is prohibited. Copyright 2014
This agreement is only valid if the customer knowingly allows someone riding along to record the track. That would have to be proven in a court of law. The person recording the track has signed no agreement with you. He may not even be aware of the agreement the customer has accepted.

Why is there used book stores? Would a used TAT store be illegal? I see both sides of the discussion.

Did Sam offer tracks before the GPS tracks became available from other sources or in response to them?