Who has a scooter, and...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by ClearwaterBMW, Sep 27, 2005.

1. JohnTM

JohnTM Who's my daddy? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Current New:

Big Ruckus
    Piaggio BV500

Current Old:

BSA Ariel 3
    Indian Papoose

Had a little Ruckus, a Aprilia Scarabeo 150, and a 49 cc skateboard.
  2. Velocibiker

Velocibiker Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer:

I think it has to do with it being 'twist-and-go' and has floorboards instead of pegs. Or something like that. I think the line is being blurred just like the term for "standard". Except for the Honda Nighthawk, does anybody actually make a "standard" anymore? I think they call them naked sport bikes now :lol3

So you CAN have a 50cc "motorcycle" or a 650cc "scooter". Guess it all depends on what the marketing department wants to call it.....
  3. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Handsome. :nod
  4. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    Currently:
    2003 Stella
    2005 Kymco Super 9

Formerly:
    2004 Vento Zip R3i <--- the gateway drug of scooters

We started out with the Zip for Skewt to see if she'd like scooters, since she's always liked the Vespas, and never really warmed up to any of the motorcycles. On the first day on the Zip, she was kneedragging around corners (this was after her BRC...) so we figured, uh, yeah, the scooter thing is cool for Skewt.

Not being TOTALLY objective, I pushed her towards the Super 9, which is the Kymco equivalent of the euro racing scoots like the Aprilia SR, Peugeot Speedfight, and so on. It's liquid cooled, dual-disc, and has a chassis that's stiffer than some motorcycles I've had. :uhoh Matter of fact, it's one sweet ride, period. Big frame, so a real grown-up can ride it, and the CVT is so sweet that it'll give you whiplash.

So then I inherited the Zip. And really fell in love with it.

I started my blog, which detailed the move to full-time scootering as my only transportation. (in the middle of a midlife crisis/career shift/medical crisis, so money's hard to come by lately...)

Then figured I was hooked for good on the scootering thing, and decided to go with the bike that had all the history to go with it--the Vespa. Stella sells what's essentially the PX-150. It's hard to NOT get hooked on these things once you read about the mods and rockers and hang out with the local british bike club--the triumph and norton and AJS owners that take the scooter riders under their wing.

Skewt loaned me the money, I sold the Zip to a guy who needed transportation to go to school, and I found a Stella that had all the kewl mods done to it but didn't run.

Got it running, and in the first month or so put 900 miles on it. :eek1

Now it's the weapon of choice for in-town riding, and relaxed country riding. It's hard to describe the zen of these things, but their simplicity and willingness to run WFO all day is endearing.

If you've ever lumbered about town on your full-sized ADV bike, the moment you buzz down to the post office on one of these, the light bulb comes on.

My GS won't run worth a crap if I'm doing short-haul trips every day--a few miles here and there. The Stella fits the bill perfectly.

And the Super 9? It has track days ahead. :evil

Bottom line--I"ve been hurtin' for money ($1600 month med bills) and the scooter has literally been the only way I can afford to get around. But the cool thing is that I love it.
  5. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer:

greg, youre a lucky dude. i love the clearwater area, beaches there are amazing. not to mention armanis has pretty good italian and a killer view.
  6. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

lots of fun, only had it a couple of weeks.

The neighborhood kids love it, I bet the parents hate me though.
    "Mom, Dad, I want a scooter!" :rofl
  7. Drumwoulf

Drumwoulf n00b

Oddometer:
    Bought a lightly used, almost new, 2004 Honda Reflex 250cc scooter back in Dec'05. Since then I've hardly been riding my 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750cc MC at all...

The extra weight and clumsier manuverability of the heavier MC does not (for me) in any way justify that bike's ability to just go zoom-zoom faster!

The Reflex can do 75MPH easily (fast enought for me), gets around 70 MPG's, and is about 1,000 times more comfortable and manuverable than the 750 Nighthawk.... It's got a full fairing, auto tranny, plenty of stretch-out room for my legs, and enough under-seat storage for my helmet plus. And the twin super bright headlights mean that night riding (which I do a lot of) is no longer an eye-strain! (Plus the 'Flex' is also one helluva lot easier to back pedal into a broken-U reverse turn on the long and narrow gravel driveway of my garage!)

So the 750 is almost (but not quite yet) ready to be put up for sale. After 26 years of riding motorcycles ranging in size from 400 to 1100cc's, it's really like a change in an era for me... But I am really finding the lighter, easier, quick and flickable big scooter more fun than the heavier 750cc. It's put the joy of riding back into my life again......
    Suggestion: If you're a bit jaded with riding, don't go bigger. Hell no!Go smaller!!
    drummer
  8. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    1971 Lambretta 150DL

[​IMG]
  9. levain

Oddometer:
    2002 Gilera Runner 180 FXR
    [​IMG]
  10. levain

Oddometer:
    Oh, I guess I didn't add any commentary..

The lambretta dl is the ultimate Lambretta for me. I've been riding scooters for 20 years and the DL is the pinnacle. I'll never sell it.

The Runner would be the ultimate 2 stroke auto ever produced. The Piaggio 180 2 stroke motor puts out a claimed 25hp, which is pretty impressive on 10" wheels direct from the factory. it's quicker than my 1200GS up to around 60mph. Pulls throttle wheelies, and is just a ton of fun to ride. Never imported into the states, so, pretty rare. This one is titled and FOR SALE.
  11. levain

Oddometer:
    My father in law just gave me his Elite 80 to sell for him. Here's a picture. Shipping is out of the question, and I don't know what these are worth (yet), but, this is a very clean elite. If anyone is interested, drop me a pm.. scooter is in Providence, RI
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  12. Hakatan

Hakatan quality > quantity

Oddometer:
    Nice looking scoots, Jim. If I was still in PVD (used to live on the East Side and work near Olneyville Sq.), I'd be calling you about the Elite. Sadly, Denver is a bit too far...:cry

13. Moto One

Moto One Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vespa 250 GTS, New, fast, looks like a scooter, easy to ride (wife) makes a great pit bike to get around on at and around the track (SCCA T-1 Corvette) and from stop light to light it can humble a HD.

Mark.
  14. doylejj

doylejj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Learned to ride on a scooter and still take it out regularly despite the other 5 bikes in the stable. Mine is a Kymco People 250--you'll find it very highly rated if not well known. http://www.pbase.com/doylejj/image/31423469

This Kymco has 16 inch wheels and sits up high for max leg room. Though I'm only 6' most scooter don't have enough leg room.

I'd ride the scooter more if I lived in the city. I ride it in the country for the quiet pleasure of riding. I've also learned as much about leaning on the scooter as on any of the bikes.

Re the Morphus someone asked about: I rode a friends for an hour or so, taking it back to the dealership to be sold on consignment. Strange bike. Windscreen is useless and no aftermarket, so only good for warm weather. Very long wheelbase for a scooter and very low COG, so it leans quicker than it turns. Decent accelleration.
  15. Elyseo

Elyseo n00b

Oddometer:
    Waiting for the Long Run, 2100km/1300 miles singlehanded tour, starting May 25th 2006...

[​IMG]
  16. Drumwoulf

Drumwoulf n00b

Oddometer:
    That photo of you on the 250 Peep looks like it was taken on 12th Street in Philly, right in front of the scooter shop there. I think I recognize the pizza joint across the street?
    Nice scooter shop, run by an honest Asian-American guy. (Whose name escapes me now). I went to his shop (I'm in NJ) and he was very straightforward in helping me decide what kind of a scoot it was that I really wanted. (Which turned out to be a Reflex, which I think he surmised...)
    drummer
  17. doylejj

doylejj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very good. Larry Wang is who owns the shop, Philadelphia Scooters on Passyunk Ave, which I wholeheartedly reccomend. He also helped me decide which scooter and was right on in what he sold me and has been very helpful after the sale.

The Reflex and the People 250 that I have are very similar in specs, except in price and wheel size (I think). Both are water cooled 4 stroke engines.
  18. doc riverz

doc riverz anatra di seduta

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got it cause the LOL that had it before me was selling it cheap and it had no miles on it. Who could resist?

I sold it and converted the cash into Weestrom farkles.
  19. KaminoChiizu

KaminoChiizu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a Ruckus.

Why? 'Cause it's a Ruckus!
  20. reddogguy1

reddogguy1 Flying Under The Radar

Oddometer:
    I've got the Vino 50, thinking about adding the 2006 Aprilia Scarabeo 50 ????????????

Like Friday!:evil

because I do alot of 3-up

[​IMG]