View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #191
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by m640b
Hello . I just bought ktm adventure 640 model 2006 , and I'm feeling a very strong vibration.
I had before another to ktm's 640 lc4 model 1998 & 2002 so I know that it isn't have to be strong vibration at all.
Is somone know something about the vibration at this model?
Does anyone heard about this unreasonable vibration of this 2006 model, it is normal at this model,or maybe I have a serious problem with my ktm?
The vibration in my bike are so strong, that I can't feel my arm after 20 minute , and I see the trafick in front of me unclear.
Thanks for anyone who's can help me.
So many possibilities... so little time.

Vibration is first of all, subjective. What is a bad vibration to you may be nothing more than "character" to someone else.
Also, we have no idea what your physical condition or stature is. You may have arms like a 10 year old girl, and any vibration would be objectionable.

Assuming your bike vibrates abnormally, so much so that anyone would consider it an issue, there are many possible avenues you can take to reduce it.

* Take it to the dealer and have someone there experienced with LC4s ride it and offer their opinion. If they say it vibrates too much... then the dealer can deal with it. It's a rare thing, but there may be a problem you cannot fix easily yourself.

* Assuming it's "normal" and not an engine that had the counter-balance left out of it , there are many things you can do to reduce the vibration.

* LC4 engines, as Buckster indicated, benefit from miles and jetting. Vibrations at 2,000 miles of engine use are roughly half of what they are at 500 miles.

* LC4s are jetted a little lean from the factory. You can richen some of the circuits and fine tune the idle speed and mixture to reduce vibration. An LC4 vibrates less with a high hot idle speed... between 1600-1700 is the most common and preferable.

* Check all the engine mount fasteners and torque them if necessary to the correct specification. In fact, check all the major fasteners on both the engine and chassis... there is no guarantee that the individuals that assembled the bike, or the one that set it up did it right.
A good example of fasteners affecting vibration levels is that if only a few exhaust header/collector bolts are loose... "felt" vibration can increase dramatically in frequency and even amplitude.

*Check chain tension, as too tight or too loose a chain can cause a vibration.

*Check the torque value on the handlebar riser thru bolts. The bars are rubber mounted and if the bolts are over or under-torqued, excessive vibration can be transmitted.

*The stock OEM KTM handgrips suck... they suck universally. Replace them with something more comfortable.

These are just a few things to check... but you get the idea.

Best of luck m640b,
C