View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 01:59 PM   #13
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279
As soon as we got to the wetter parts we came across a lot, and I do mean a lot, of elephant spoor. This troubled me quite a bit. I'll be honest, I'm damn scared of them. However we did not see any and left the riverbed through a canyon. The white stuff on the rocks is salt.

It was also time for filling up with our backup fuel. I carried mine like this.

Mid afternoon and it was starting to get really hot. The scenery was spectacular regardless. I was having an excellent time.

Rocks sprouting like weeds.

After the river sand we came to a loose shale type of sand. The worst kind, no resistence at all. In this pic we were coming from the left and I dropped it for the third time. You learn very quickly how pathetically little reserves your body has when you have to pick up a GS repeatedly (after fighting a losing battle to keep it upright).

I noticed from other ride reports that a lot of guys help each other pick up their bikes. That's not popular over here.

Several times I got a really strong feeling that I'm riding on a different planet.

Incredibly rough country,inhospitable, yet to me beautiful. Just going through these pics again completely brings the experience back to life. I feel the need to go again.

You really feel the essence of life when in these surrounds.

metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote