View Single Post
Old 06-03-2006, 05:54 AM   #38
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
I went by the Triumph dealer to check out the Scrambler the other day after a business meeting. I was in business clothes and driving the cage, so I did not take a test ride.

The good: The bike has tremendous visual presence, it is a real looker, one of the most strikingly handsome modern (?) bikes I have seen. Steve McQueen would be happy to ride this bike. It sits higher than the Bonnie and has a more comfortable seat. The bars are wide and put me in a slightly forward lean, which is a good thing at speed. The paint is gorgeous as are the pipes and the Bridgestone Trailwing semi - knobby tires fit the image of the bike perfectly. It looks perfectly capable of dirt road and fire road riding, certainly every bit as capable as my WeeStrom. Access to cleaning and lubing the chain is excellent due to the high pipes, even without a centerstand.

The bad: The dealer said the 270 degree crank pin makes the motor gutless. Of course, he sells Ducatis and thinks everyone should ride a liter bike, so I'll reserve that opinion for my own personal test ride. The pipes might be an issue: my leg rests on the heat guard and that might bother me. The dealer said he has ridden a Scrambler for a 60 mile ride, and it bothered him. The front brake fluid reservoir looks like it came off a Japanese race-replica: see through plastic with the ugliest hose at a 180 degree bend - not attractive and not fitting with the retro look at all. And no tach standard, which seems a bit chintzy. And no centerstand.

I'm going back for a test ride soon and will report my impressions.
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote