View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #10
bitterjoe OP
killing the fatted calf

Oddometer: 2,053
So the new roads I had mapped prior to leaving were really paying off.

From logging road to rutted and worse.

Until I came to this...

This picture of slop is taken from the other side after I crossed through it. You can kind of see my line on the right. I was a bit hesitant, as it would be a long walk out, but figured I could make it through... until I found out it was clay. As soon as I went in the mud went right up to the forks and over the swingarm. Uh oh. So quick, off I hop and I am standing in the clay up to my shins. Gas, push. Gas, push. Finally through. Close one. This probably the worst thing I encountered, aside from a lot of rocks.

So after a few more miles I ended up coming out on some nice trails like this here. A good way to round out the trip.

Below are some additional pics I took during some hikes from the weekend.

These photos are from nearby old coppermine.

We used to go swimming in this portion of the quarry when I was younger. Sit on the side all day. Jumping off the ledges... Not anymore. I'm too old for that shit. Plus the area is listed as a Superfund cleanup location now.

And lastly a couple pictures of this weird beehive chamber in South Royalton.

The interior.

This thing was really weird. I read about it once in the book Curious New England. Its origins are unclear, but it was thought to have been Viking or Celtic. When excavated in the 1980's Native American artifacts were found, but it is still unclear who actually constructed the chamber.

Anyways, this concludes my latest installment. I hope you enjoyed the ride.

bitterjoe screwed with this post 07-05-2006 at 09:42 AM
bitterjoe is offline   Reply With Quote