Originally Posted by BareRider
That rectifier disipates all unused power as heat. It will/can get very hot. Take it's capacity (400+watts) and subtract all your electrical loads (battery charging, ignition, headlight, running lights, heated vest, grips, etc.) and whatever's left is dissipated as heat from the rectifier
Sorry, no. It is a switch-mode regulator, not a shunt regulator. See the tech information on the EME website.
My experience is similar to Malindi's ... except mine is mostly commuting miles *grumble grumble sulk*. Regulator barely gets warm, battery sits on 14.2.