View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #17
katoosh
Catch&Release Wild Trout

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageThumper
So... Given that it's so damn hard to break the bead on these things, does removing that extra, bead supporting, ridge on the rim make it easier?
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I have had 0 problems using the sidestand technique. That is not the hard part of changing a 950 tire, in my experience.

That said, I can absolutely see how milling that safety bead off would facilitate bead breaking. And it doesn't cost you anything but a little time with an angle grinder. There are some good links, as Mouse mentioned. Search "Alabama safety shoes" and I think you'll find it. Pretty funny.

Even though I lust after a sweet set of Woody's wheels featuring a 18X3.5" rear, I still wouldn't buy a new rim for this purpose alone.

Make that "Alabama Safety Boots", and it is called Neduro's Tire Changing Class. First rate post. Follow these instructions to the letter, and you will have very positive results. Another bit of advice gleaned from these pages is to budget 3 hours for the tire change (in the field), and you'll be very happy when it only takes 1 1/2.

katoosh screwed with this post 07-14-2006 at 10:45 AM Reason: content
katoosh is offline   Reply With Quote