View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #22
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Yup, plenty of good advice out there... I agee with Sailah
Quote:
Cheap rim milling
I chucked my rear rim sans tire back on the bike. On the centerstand, in 2nd gear, I easily removed a good portion of the safety bead with just a bastard file, followed up by a smooth file and then progressivley finer sandpaper until I had it mirror smooth. Took about 45 minutes and makes it much easier to get really stiff tires like the 908RR on and of in a jiffy. Still have prob 50% of the bead left. No lube ever needed for on and off tire changing.
If cheap works, then cheap it is Dirtinblood and I (not sure where he got the idea, unless it was his...) we took a 4" belt sander with 80grit paper. Surprisingly it just fits between the beads. Turn on the sander, hold on carefully and sand away. Instead of sanding the entire bead around the rim, we did about a 9-12" section across from the valve stem so we knew where it was. Simple, cheap and effective like Sailah's method - but this had less sweat involved

We followed the 80 grit with some 100-120 by hand just to smooth it out some more that that is it.

Now, when we use the side stand (or centre stand) method we start at the grounded section and it works fine. Once the tire pops under the bead it is simple.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote