View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 09:32 AM   #42
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,328
ya got it right again!!!!

[quote=Autostream]OK, so I'm not about to have 5 sets of wheels, but may have to look at making my stockers bullet proof.

I lower the pressures significantly, but I suspect that because the tires are rolled in so much for the narrow rim that the sidewalls are not flexing as much as they could/should, particularly with a strong tires like the Dunlop D908 RR...would this also be a correct observation?

exactly,,,,if the tires are too stiff,they will not round out to get the proper profile for spreading the load better,,hence they just drop down and bury themselves,,,REMEMBER the key notion is FLOTATATION when it comes todealing with sand

there are several great tech articles that i read years ago showing the dynamics of what transpires in sandy circumstances

so getting a large soft foorprint is what we are after

QUESTION:
If I was to bring my stock wheels over in September (be in USA for 4 weeks) what rims would you recomend for travelling outback Australia and sand?

if ya spend more time in the sand then the hard pack then i think the oem rim sizes sound good to me,,,,we can improve a bit on the strength and durability of your wheel ,,possibly go with 4.25x18 Sun/Excel rims ,,lighter and strong without the crazy big tire bead of the oem Behrs....which BTW are a major pain in the butt to break the bead on on your stock oem Behrs

if ya spend 50 -50 time on road and dirt then 3.50x18 is your better bet and to reiterate,,,the hot set-up for mostly trail/dirt riding is 2.50/2.75 x18

Here's a good example of conditions... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152387 but maybe with a little more sand.

i just love those conditions,,,billabongs n all
quote]
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 07-20-2006 at 07:57 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote