View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Nice post (it's already in the index ),

Considering the above Caste, what do you think of spoke torque wrenches? Meaning besides the expense, what do you think of their up and downsides? Seems like they would be a good idea, but my reading of wheel tuner-speak leads me to believe there is an art to it - and science can interfere with artistry.

Here are some that came up in a quickie search:
http://www.ftmbiz.com/mx_excel_spoke_wrench.html
Fasstco
RK
Hey Meat,

I think they are fine to use, as long as the user realizes that the cleaner and better lubed the spoke/nipple threads are, the more accurate the wrench will be.
56 in.lbs. can be 56 in.lbs. of actual torque value applied spoke tension... or it can be 18 in.lbs. of torque and 38 in.lbs. of corrosion, or thread damage induced resistance.
This is why professional wheel builders will use oil, grease or "spoke thread lube" when they build a wheel... to get a smooth, true feel.

On an assembled wheel, for the home maintenance guy who wants to really do it right but doesn't have years of wheel truing experience under his belt, a dab of penetrating oil, maybe turning the nipples in and out a bit to get the oil into the threads... then use the wrench... that would be the most accurate use of a spoke torque wrench I think.
Even better if you do your own tire changes... 'cause then you can get really sloppy with the spoke lube and not worry about the excess getting into the wheel, tire and tube "sealed area".

C