View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 12:28 AM   #27
COBAUM OP
How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer: 136
KLX Police Interceptor Update

OK, I feel like an idiot.

I ask if there are any of you out there and then I spend two weeks working on the bike and don't even look at the thread. It is back together. Cranks, but the CDI is fried. I mean really fried. Looks almost like it was sitting right on the exhaust. $280 for a new one. I'll have to watch ebay for awhile to find a used one. That is unless one of my brethren has an extra for sale?

Since I am not riding it yet I have only one impression to share. It is so much lighter than the KLR. I have to push them around to get to one or the other and the KLX is WAY lighter. That may be because the KLR has the nerf cage, bash plate and over 5 gallons of gas! But I am excited. The thought of a lighter bike than the KLR has me all hot and bothered.

I see that here as well as the yahoo forum the biggest issue is the gas tank size. The KLX has a 3.2 gal tank that does not have the two "sides" that the KLR has. So, unlike the KLR, you get to use ALL the gas in the tank. I read that most owners get around 50 mpg. That's 150 miles per tank. Here in Colorado that is not a problem. You will pass a gas station somewhere. So you stop and get gas while you check your trail map. I may be naive, but I don't see it being such a big issue. I may change my mind after a few trips.

I'll post a couple of pics soon. It's all black except for the green C1 frame. I took the red and white flashing police lights off, so it does not have the Police Interceptor look any longer!

Don't be Hatin' - Kyle W
COBAUM is offline   Reply With Quote