View Single Post
Old 09-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #98
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
What if you bent up a piece of fairly thick sheet metal to the shape of the fender and epoxied it to the underside with quicksteel,it would distribute the stresses. Have it go down the side of the fender as well as the top edge. If you scuff up the metal and the fender the epoxy sticks good
Actually, IMO I don't think it's going to make much difference in the amount of flex at the winglets. That whole section of the fairing is just flimsy so unless you came up with a way to maybe attach that fairing piece to the gas tank fairing piece it isn't going to do much, if any, good. Just try flexing that piece on your bike and you'll see what I mean. I'm pretty confident that it's going to be just fine as is. There is no noticeable deflection of the winglets at any speeds I have ridden so far (100mph briefly last evening).

Having said that, I still may play around with it this winter to see what I can come up with. Maybe even just shlep some epoxy on the whole underside (not the nuts though, don't want no epoxy on my nuts!) just to add some strength. A person has to have something to do during our long winters.

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote