View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #42
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerowner_ut
I am looking at a 96 KLX. What are the must do's for this bike. Is the Dohickey the same on this bike as the KLR? Any other issues?
No dohicky. Motors are different. Gear driven balancer, different head though both are dual cammed and different cases. About the only similarity is the carb, though the jetting is different. 2 versions of the bike. The R model is a dirt bike. C model a dual sport. Check KLX650 forum at Yahoo.com. Biggest complaint seems to be the auto cam tensioner and the auto decompression gizmo used for starting. They have fixes for both though the KLR uses the latter and no one complains.
Typical power mods are: shim the carb needle, screw out the pilot jet a little, bigger main jet, and remove the airbox top. This along with a good foam air filter and aftermarket exhaust is all I have done and it made a noticeable difference. I confess I have never ridden a KLR but have ridden with several riders that own one and based on my observations there is a big difference in power between the KLX and KLR with the former having more mid and top end.

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-09-2011 at 12:02 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote