View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #13
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas
Hey Creeper, this sounds like a really good idea to me. If you don't mind, could you detail out all the marks you used, where you put them, what you checked for? I'm a total noob, so simple is good.

Thanks!
All you need to do is verify the correct torque value and put a set (or a blob) of bright color paint mark(s) on the fastener and the corresponding surface.
Wipe off any excess dirt or oil first so the paint sticks. Bottles of "touch-up" paint work well for this type of thing... at least that's what I like to use.
I'm sure there are other ways you can do it that would work just as well.
  1. Front and rear sprocket bolts. (the nuts on the rear sprocket actually)
  2. Shift lever bolt.
  3. Rear brake link rod jam nut.
  4. All the external oil line banjo bolts.
  5. Rear brake lever adjuster eccentric screw.
  6. Front brake caliper extension bolts. (320mm 640 Adventure brake has an intermediate "extender" mount bolted to the forks)
  7. Both brake caliper banjo bolts.
  8. Spin-on filter.
  9. Starter motor bolts.
  10. The two inner exhaust support bracket to subframe bolts.
  11. Anything that has come loose or fallen out completely in the past. (see #10)

There's lots of others you could do... just about anything you want. I tend to do fasteners that don't get a wrench on them under normal circumstances or, like I said, things that could really ruin your day if they came loose.
I tend to be a bit of a fanatic with maintenance, so many fasteners you might consider critical actually see a wrench on a regular basis.

C