View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 08:22 AM   #9
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_gs
Meat...

Thanks...I have read that other posting about 100 times already to make sure I knew what I was getting into. :)

I actually ended up not replacing the sprocket as I decided to wait for the parts you mentioned.

I did take the cover off last night with plans to replace it, however, it seems there is a tabbed washer of some sort behind the nut. One side folded over to help prevent the nut from backing off. Looks like I need a replacement for that washer before I can even think of taking that thing apart.

It looks like the tab is only possible on one side of the nut...does that make sense?

I was expecting to be able to re-use the nut/etc as the bike is only 3 weeks old with 600 miles on it...

It is going to the dealer tomorrow for it's 600 mile service, so I may just have them do it while it's there...hate to pay to have someone else do this type of thing though. I even went out and bought a torque wrench just for this!

Thanks for the pointer though...the lc4 index is awesome, one of my favorite places on this site since buying my new 640. :)

-- Jason
Ah, so you were on top of this. I am not sure what version of the CS bolt/washer your model year has; sounds like the older one that folks talk about so I am surprised to hear it is on your almost new bike.

That said, why do you have to REPLACE the sprocket after only 600 miles?!? I could imagine you might want to exchange for a different tooth count - but is the stock CS sprocket already fried? If you are only exchanging the sprocket then I would expect you to be able to reuse the bolt/spring washer combo (w/loctite) for a spell, but I have no idea about the tabbed washer. BTW, did you see the loctite thread in the index?

You can still do the drivetrain work, just have the dealer order the parts for you. Speaking of which, you don't want to do the valve adjustment/oil change/general inspection? It is challenging, but not impossible for those with decent mechanical aptitude and wrench experience.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote