View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 08:25 PM   #80
canadasax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike955i
Well, after hearing all the horror stories about breaking the bead on the mighty 950 I was nervous about trying to install my new TKC's (and Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes) in preparation for Creel.

Next up, the 9-fiddy! We jammed some lube into the gap using a tire iron and then tried to use just irons to break the bead - no joy. Next, I tried a prybar another user swore by but it just damaged the rim. We decided to try the sidestand trick using the KLR, wedging the tire under the stand and pushing down. I was expecting a fight but a little pressure and the bead popped right off. It was too f*n easy - what the hell? We pulled the tube and now needed to pop the bead on the other side. Sidestand to the rescue - POP! The tire pulled right off (Tire lube - buy some today!) and installing the TKC was just as easy; pop the tire on the rim, slip in the tube, inflate tube for structure, lube the tire again and lever the loose side onto the rim. Truth be told, we found wheels with rim locks harder to deal with than the 950 but all are do-able. The lube makes a HUGE difference in effort equired, although I'm sure more experienced guys dont need it at all.

So, that's it - the 950 was actually very easy to deal with and now we know we can do the deed in the field. I hope this is useful to those approaching the task for the first time. It is definitly easier with 2 people but the secret is real tire lube, get some today!

Cheers.....Mike

After reading this I decided I was going to give the "breakin the bead on the 950" a try. I was taking the bike in to get new tires put on anyway so I thought I would see if I could get the tube out using only what I would pack on the bike. First I tried the old "step on the bead and maybe it will break" trick. NO CHANCE. Then I looked at the bike sitting on the center stand and the side stand sticking out saying "use me, use me. I had already lubed up the bead the best I could so I figured I had nothing to lose. I jammed the side stand between the rim and the tire the best I could and slowly tipped the bike over on the tire. It was kind of a slow "wooosh" and the bead was broken. Wow, this was not hard at all. I could not pull the tube out without breaking the bead on the other side , so I flipped it over and "wooosh" Just as easy as the first side.
I had been worrying about what the heck I would do if I got a flat in the bush for about 8 months. It is very reassuring to know that it can be done without a lot of problems.
My rim is the 4.25 which I think is easier than the 4.00's
canadasax is offline   Reply With Quote