View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 10:47 AM   #22
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob748
so l found a replacement

the bearing is marked 6205 RSR not 2RS, 6205 2RS is a single ball bearing in the wheel but the one in the sprocket carrier is a double ball bearing but it has the same # 6205 but marked with RSR.
the bearing house said this should be # 5205 2RS which was $33 dollars including UPS shipping to my door tomorrow
l will have to keep my eye on it and see how it lasts

FYI
Purchased from BDI part # EBC 5205 2RS
Is the above "but it has the same# 6205" coming from your reading of the fiche or from the actual removed OEM bearings. I can only guess the later as the fiche is quite clear on the difference.

As far as I understand it ... the KTM/OEM bearings are made by FAG and -2RSR is just their equivalent of -2RS.

The wheel bearings (Qty: 2) are FAG 6205 2RSRC3. The C3 is important. I believe it specifies the clearance inside the bearing, for a press fit, it's important to get it correct else the bearing could be too tight. It may well be the default though.

The sprocket support bearing is FAG 3205.B.2RSR. The middle B is I believe the contact angle of the races but I think B is the standard. 3205 is the European equivalent of a US 5205.

So a 5205-2RS should fit the sprocket support and 6205-2RS will fit the wheels with the caveat about the C3 internal clearance.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm incorrect on any of this.

I usually get KBC (korean) wheel bearings which are a good price/quality compramise vs the more expensive Japanese bearings and the maybe dubious Chinese bearings (though I think bearings are such a commodity item these days that the poor Chinese quality is more of a historical artifact). $5 each for a 6205-2RS. The sprocket support 5205-2RS is harder, KBC doesn't make double row and the prices seems to vary wildly depending where you look (CBR has them for $24.00, Japanese KYK brand but their $15.00 price for each 6205 wheel bearing is expensive).

It is amazing that the complete sprocket support (with bearing) is less than the cost of the replacement bearing (via KTM).

Tony
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote