View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
dwayne OP
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,221
That’s a glimpse of Lake LaBarge..but no Sam Mcgee. Today we turned off the Alaska Highway and turned on to the Kondike Hwy.

The river boats used to have to negotiate these rapids to get from Whitehorse to Dawson City. At times they used to winch themselves through. The rapids are called Middlefinger rapi…no wait…Five Finger rapids.

Mmmmm Cupiccino

Heading: True North!

At the intersection of the Dempster Hwy and the Kondike Hwy, we found the Kondike River Lodge, which had a bunk house, with outside access to the laundry, and shower. Plus it had a carwash, this will become important.

The bunkhouse

In the morning we need to get underway, because I can only see when we are moving... note the stunning blue eyes

Here we are!

Gut check

About 70 km up the road you will find Tombstone Territorial Park, where they will give you a booklet with some information about what you can expect to see on the road.

The rest of the day hit me like a hammer. I had enjoyed the ride from Ft Nelson enough to make the trip worth while, but the Dempster exceeded my high expectations. It occurred to me that remotness seems to increase the beauty of a location, and that seeing some of the most amazing places in the world require coping with a runny nose. Yukon is not really a warm place at the end of August. I feel ambiguios about showing picturs of what I saw. There is no way my talent or equipment is capable of capturing but a tiny bit of how spectacular this place really is but if you take a look over ‘freaks shoulder, you can see why he’s smiling!

Here’s a bit of a teaser

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"

dwayne screwed with this post 10-06-2009 at 07:25 PM
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote