View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python423
Anyone know if its possible to convert Garmin Follow Road Routes (mapped out on Mapsource City Nav or Metroguide) into TRACKS? Reason being I watn to do this, is The GPS unit will always recaculat the route when loaded, so it doesnt look same as it does on Mapsource.
If you add enough "via" point into the route in mapsource, you can pretty much get the same route. I've had very good luck adding via points just after critical junctions that will keep my on the right path when routing on the GPS.

Also mapsourse will allow you to draw tracks, so you could trace the routes...

Quote:
Another advantage of this, would be to use it as a track, I can then load any mapset (topo,roads&rec,etc) and follow the track so I can have the topo data on screen to look for dual sport oportunites,etc.
I have yet to see much that is on Topo, or roads and rec that isn't on city select, but if you have to do it, you can create the route in the GPS using the city select maps, then once the route is created, you can change over to topo maps etc, and the route will still show up on your maps, at least until it tries to recalc if you go off route.

Quote:
Plus another advantage of this I want to do, is Create a file with all the tracks of all the trails I have found in my county, and area (just the trails and data not shown on my garmin map) and then load it as an overlay for my map whenever I start a ride. Thus my trails will show on the map. Also would like ot be able to use a variety of colors on tracks, possibly one color for trail, one for gravel, one for rough pavment,etc..

I believe this is possible on the unit, though I don't think you can color different tracks different colors on the unit. But You can download all your tracks onto your unit no problem, again up to the unit limit.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote