View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #43
ldeikis
Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways
The best method other than living in a Spanish speaking country to learn Spanish is the Rosetta Stone Spanish Speaking CD's.

The more Spanish you know the better your experience south of the border will be.
I agree on both counts. I took a few years of high school spanish years ago and was blown away by both how much I remembered and how much more fun I had being able to flounder through conversations (this was on a trip to costa rica). I think being confident and not giving a damn if I looked like a fool helped, too. Since this trip is longer I borrowed a rosetta stone CD from a buddy and wow--amazing how you retain stuff learned that way. It takes a bit of discipline to make yourself consistently do a lesson a night (or whatever) but man, I can talk about children leaping off picnic tables til I'm blue in the face. I didn't get to the part where they try to explain that they've blown a seal in their KLRs shock absorber, though. Maybe that's in the third CD?

Luke
"To them, the bike's garage clutter. To us, it's a Beretta, half a mil' in cash, and a forged passport hidden under the floorboards. Whether it's used or not, that choice is always there." --Dan Walsh, Bike, December 2003
ldeikis is offline   Reply With Quote