Thread: Tank Guards
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 08:07 AM   #97
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
kevlar/carbon tank protectors

Nice job--actually the colour is sort of growing on me. One advantage is that they don't show scratches and surface blemishes as easily as the plain carbon version.

You are right--I don't like making them--its pretty close to sackcloth and ashes-but probably good for self control-the moulding bit is ok--its the finishing.

I now have a little trick which is to start with a thin layer of glass cloth around the edges (which also goes beyond the edge during layup)--this is before I apply the kevlar/carbon. This gives a greater depth of workable resin on the outside and makes finishing the edges a little cleaner and avoids too many kevlar "feathers". The cloth disappears when wetted so you wouldn't know--unless you sand a bit too much and reveal the weave--maybe a useful tip for anyone contemplating making their own kit.

Regards, Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlyguy
Thought I should update this thread with a pic of the Kevlar version. I know Chris hates making these versus the carbon ones so sorry Chris.

I wasn't crazy about the color of the Kevar with the orange paint but its growing on me. Besides I was looking for function any way.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to make the bike as clean as some of these other posts.

Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote