View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 11:13 AM   #54
WestRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
What a deal....

That's a great deal for a great bike. I've got an '80 XL500s that I'm just starting on the rebuild. I used to ride this thing and finally picked it up from my uncle when he couldn't kick start it anymore. I've been collecting parts for several years and am just now tearing into it. Mine needed shocks, headlight bucket and bracket, speedometer, cables, tail light, turn signals, and a pipe and tons of small stuff. I found most of the stuff on ebay but picked up the pipe new from David Silver Spares in GB. It's a BSM pipe so I have no idea yet how loud it will be. Original pipe is rusted out and any decent ones from ebay were outrageously priced. Kinda like trying to find a pipe for my SL70...but I finally did!

BTW...the springs are easily shot on this bike and I notice in the WPS (Western Power Sports) catalog that you can buy replacement shocks for it. Works makes them too but they're really expensive...like more than the bike's worth! I may also go with some progressive springs in the forks...too many projects...

I'm trying to get this XL fixed up to complement my big Strom and it's my winter project. I probably have some duplicates in parts by now and i've been researching replacement stuff so pm me if you need something and can't find it.

I've kicked the idea of turning mine into a SM but for now I'm just going to get it mostly back to original...pipe excluded...and get it back on the road for some spring rides.

Good luck!!
2005 TW200...wife's bike
1977 CT90...an original adventure bike
WestRider is offline   Reply With Quote