View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #85
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,298
here's a few ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by macamoose
Hi Woody, I'm a bit new to the spoked wheel world so when I went to change the tires on my DRZ and noticed two dead spokes on the rear I took them to a local professional. He tried turning a few of the spoke nipples and when they wouldn't budge he said the wheels would need to be entirely relaced with new spokes, but that they were good enough for riding off road with for now. Is there a penetrant I could use that would loosten up the spokes so the wheels can be trued up as is? Can I really ride off road with wheels that have just a couple of dead spokes? Just trying to figure it all out. Thanks,
Thad
FYI,,,,the mantra that serves your wheels and your pocket-books highest good,,,,it IS better to have ALL your spokes tight....otherwise you'll be overstressing the remaining 34,,,and that's when the descent into hell begins,,,

in your case ,,some liquid wrench and a good workout with your spoke wrench,,,or just get 2 new spokes n nipples and snug em up to match the tone of the rest of the spokes,,,

usually,,,we find that the nipples' threads are rusted and clogged with dirt,,,,we just snip em out and start over,,,however,,,if the rest of the nipples fail to turn,,,the usual trick is to just snip em all and start over with a heavy duty ss set,,,circa $200 for a complete rebuild
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 12-23-2006 at 05:20 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote