View Single Post
Old 12-27-2006, 12:49 AM   #5
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,767
Zerodog and all,
Let me be one of the first to thank you for sharing your work. You are the only suspension tuner that I know of who is this open with potential customers. We all owe you our respect and we are in your debt. I hope this forum can continue with the same spirit of openness.
After all, we aren't racers trying to get to the finish line first.
We are all interested in making our motorcycles ride more safely and comfortably.

For those who don't know about the history of suspension tuning, let me say that it is mostly closely guarded secrets, snake oil and bullshit.
There is a guru factor.
Often large sums of money trade hands and the results for the riders are mediocre at best.

My '02 Adventure has even more antique suspension than your '03.
I have no midvalve. It consists of a checkplate comprised of 4x24x.1 shims. The float was similar to your stock setup.

I did run a modded basevalve all summer with two 24mm shims on top. There was no problem with durability and it makes you wonder why KTM chose such heavy valving for the stock setups. The basevalve changes were a good first step for me but no substitute for the complete re-valving work you are doing, with testing and reported results.

Don't get going too fast with that new setup. You have to stay healthy.
You are the man.
BTW, +1 on lightening the rebound stack, it might need more??
Bill.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote