View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #30
Cogswell OP
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,012
Time for an update on progress and regress.

Bad news first.

If you look at the first pictures of the bike before I started you can see a blue sticker on the frame near the steering head.
Seems the sticker wasn't fully removed during the frame clean-up and was powder coated over.
I also made another discovery that the steering/fork stop was missing from the front of the frame.
I made a phone call to the fine folks at Smiths Customs, Brandon and Josh.
They told me to bring the frame back and they would make it right on their dime. (for the sticker)
I fashioned a stop for the steering/forks and they are going to attach it to the frame.
If you need any powder coating done I would Highly recommend you give these guys a shot at your business.
They do great work, and stand behind what they do.

I got the wheels back when I dropped off the frame. I was concerned
about the wheels turning out too dark from the color sample but after seeing them finished I an happy with the result.
One small detail on the wheels, seems there was a recall on the BMW snowflake front mag wheels. They would tend to crack and break after riding on rough surfaces. Thanks Crow. I now have a new front wheel on the way courtesy of BMW. It will need to be powder coated to match the rear.
Hey, things like that are going to happen and it's just a minor delay. I don't really have any set time this bike must be finished.

I also picked up some other goodies for the charging system to replace the diode board. ( a known weak link at this mileage)

Other than that, I had a call from the machine shop that the heads are ready. Fresh valve job and cleaned.
Need to borrow the press again to remove the steering head lower bearing and install the new one.
I need to schedule some time on a glass bead cleaner for more parts cleaning.
Spiegler brake lines and another box of gaskets etc are on Brown to arrive this week.

May be I can have a roller by the end of the month !

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.

Cogswell screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 10:36 AM
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote